Built in 1900, the historic Washington County Courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. We conducted an interior restoration, refurbished the exterior masonry and installed a new tile roof. In subsequent contracts with the county, we designed a new entry pavilion that connected the courthouse to the jail. We restored, renovated and converted the landmark jail into a Family Court Center. Given the dissimilarities between the existing and new functions, we proposed that the jail's interior be gutted, leaving only the building shell. This allowed maximum flexibility to create new 21st century courtrooms and office space within a 19th century shell. We designed new interior partitions, floor slabs, vertical circulation and MEP systems. We also designed a new entry pavilion that connected the adjacent historic courthouse with the center. The project won an MBA Building Excellence Award in 2005.